The Pacer

Warm for winter

Avid collects coats for those in need

Laura Dacy, Managing Editor

Winter is coming, and for most families at Rolling Meadows High School that means getting out the hats, gloves and heavy coats; however, some families cannot afford these necessities. For the second year in a row, the AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) college readiness program is hosting a coat drive this month. They are collecting gently-used coats, in all sizes and for all ages, for less fortunate families in the Chicago area.

“We will donate the coats to Button and Zipper [a charity founded by an RMHS Alumnus] which then distributes [the coats] to residents of the Chicagoland area,” AVID sponsor Megan Marciniec said.

The Button and Zipper charity organized a coat drive in order to help members of the Chicagoland area who are in need. The goal for this winter is to collect a total of 1,500 coats, and AVID is looking to help by collecting a large portion of the total sum. The goal this year is to collect 225 coats, after collecting 200 last year.

In order to encourage students to bring in their coats and help to reach their goal, AVID has set up a reward system for the seminar with the most coats donated.

“The top three seminars who donate the most coats will receive a donut and juice breakfast,” Marciniec said.

In order to reach this goal, collecting coats is made very easy this year due to drop-off bins located all over school.

“Students can either drop coats in the bins provided [near the main office, cafeteria or second floor by the locker commons] or students can bring them to their seminar teacher,” Marciniec said.

As well as helping those in need, AVID students are also becoming more aware of their surroundings and how to help and give back to the community.

“It is important that we give back to the community because [it allows us to] show our appreciation for [it]…,” senior Misaki Ishiura said.

Collection of the coats began Oct. 13 and will continue until next Thursday, Oct. 29. It is encouraged that every family bring in coats no longer being used in order to provide for families in need.