The Pacer

Week one postmortem: Top fantasy football waiver wire pickups

Week 1 was the week for rookie wideouts. New York Giants wide receiver Sterling Shepard and Houston Texans wide receiver Will Fuller exploded in their respective NFL debuts, and some other under-the-radar talents emerged, ripe for the waiver wire picking. Note: for a player to be eligible for this list, they must be owned in under 50 percent of ESPN leagues.

WR Tajae Sharpe, Tennessee Titans (Owned in 41.7 percent of leagues)

His quarterback (second year man Marcus Mariota) had a rough day, and still the rookie hauled in a promising seven catches for an equally impressive 76 yards. With no clear wide receiver under him in the depth chart, expect Sharpe to break out against a decent Detroit Lions secondary this week.

WR Tyrell Williams, San Diego Chargers (Owned in 39.6 percent of leagues)

You likely were not able to snatch up now number one wide receiver Travis Benjamin, who is now owned in over 75 percent of ESPN leagues. However, with two catches for 71 yards last week, Williams is making a case to be the true number two wide receiver in a pass-heavy, Philip Rivers led offense. Someone is going to have to step up in the absence of elite wideout Keenan Allen (out for the season with a torn ACL), and Williams is definitely one of the candidates.

TE Dwayne Allen, Indianapolis Colts (Owned in 37.8 percent of leagues)

Allen had quite a day last Sunday, taking advantage of the Lions to the tune of four receptions and 53 yards. Just that would have yielded a respectable nine points in PPR leagues, but an early touchdown only added another six points to that total. Owners should be aware: Allen is a touchdown dependent play, and if he fails to find the end zone, his numbers may not look so good. Other than that, Allen is a promising player, especially if you’re looking for a temporary Rob Gronkowski replacement.

WR Mike Wallace, Baltimore Ravens (Owned in 42.2 percent of leagues)

If, like me, you were wondering what wide receiver to own in a talented Ravens receiving core, it seems that week one has given us an answer. Kamar Aiken recorded a measly two reception, 14 yard performance; redshirt rookie Breshad Perriman recorded a single catch for 35 yards. The seemingly ageless Steve Smith had plenty of receptions, with five, but only racked up 19 yards. The big story was Wallace, catching three balls for a whopping 91 yards and a touchdown. Quarterback Joe Flacco, who has a cannon for an arm, loves to throw the deep ball, and with Wallace is primarily known as a deep-ball receiver, all indications lead to a mutually beneficial partnership. Grab him quickly (if he’s still available), even if it is just to stash on your bench.