The Pacer

Shah on Sports: Chicago Blackhawks Season Preview

Sahil Shah, Sports Editor

After their third championship in six years, and major contributors such as Patrick Sharp and Johnny Oduya lost during free agency, fans were worried that the team was done with the Stanley Cup- at least for a little while. After concerning sexual assault allegations- a frenzy of wild accusations and rampant statements- attempted to drag fan-favorite Patrick Kane’s name through the proverbial mud, fans were extremely unsure of how successful the team would be moving forward. However, instead of focusing on things he couldn’t control off the ice, he focused on what he could do, which was playing hockey. Kane, the current Hart Trophy favorite, is currently leading the NHL in goals and points, and is two assists away from the league lead. Five people in the league are averaging one point a game, and Kane (surprise, surprise!) leads that category with a whopping 1.4 points a game. He leads the league in scoring by a whopping 15 points, and may achieve a feat that no American has ever done before- win a scoring title. Rookie phenom Artemi Panarin is another reason for the Blackhawks success. Panarin is basically another Patrick Kane; he is seventh in the league in scoring, and a shoe-in for the Calder trophy, awarded to the best rookie in the league (Patrick Kane himself won this trophy in 2007). Goalie Corey Crawford leads the league in shutouts, and is top three in wins and save percentage. The Blackhawks have the second most points in the entire league, and what was initially thought of as a “rebuilding” year now has the potential of turning into another championship win.