In the fast lane: Girls swimming reaching for full potential during postseason

Nidhi Thakkar, Sports Editor

With a record of 3-4 and about a month left in their season, the girls swim and dive team still has a long way to go.

This year’s team has many freshmen, and the returning members have faced the duty of training them to compete at the varsity level. However, the team sees their new recruits as a strength rather than a weakness.Screen shot 2015-11-11 at 8.00.41 AM

“It is a young team with so much potential; that is how we look at it,” Head Coach Monika Chiappetta said.

The returning upperclassmen have worked to mentor and train their newer teammates to compete and feel welcome on the team. With such strong guidance from the upperclassmen, the underclassmen have the potential to be a strong team in the future with years of experience at the varsity level.

Chiappetta has also stressed the importance of the team spending time together outside of the pool and bonding with each other. The girls spend over two hours together six days a week, so it is necessary for the girls to get along and work well together.

“Our team has really become close this

year because we are always spending so much time with one another and [we’re] constantly encouraging each other to be our very best,” junior Grace Nykol said.

Due to their close relationships, the team is able to communicate and perform well with each other.

“Swimming is hard both mentally and physically, so it’s amazing to have nine other girls who know how you feel and who encourage you and push you to be your best no matter what,” junior Emily Walters said.

Despite having to compete amongst themselves to make relay teams, the girls support and help each other improve so that each girl can utilize her own strengths.

In a sport where one second can determine ranking, it is absolutely necessary to ensure that each swimmer is participating in the events that best suit her.

Most of the girls are focused on improving their times and breaking past records such as the school record for the 200 Medley relay, which the girls set last season.

As they near the end of their season, the girls face the challenge of maintaining their times and surpassing them despite the constant stress on their bodies.

“Everybody is tired and sore, and nobody’s really dropping and getting the times they want,” Walters said. “This is when support from each other is so important. We have to keep reminding each other that it will all be worth is at Conference and Sectionals.”

Despite their challenges, the team placed first in the Hoffman Invite and are determined to continue improving and increasing their scores at meets.

The girls will continue to work towards

their goal of becoming stronger and faster swimmers throughout this season and the offseason by working with each other and their coach. They will also continue practicing before and after school as well as on the weekends.

The team will compete in the Sectional meet at Barrington High School on November 14.

“We win some, we lose some, but we are working harder than ever,” Nykol said.