The Pacer

Successful badminton season

Laura Dacy, Managing editor

With an impressive record of 14 wins and four losses, Rolling Meadows’ badminton team has had one of their most successful seasons yet.

Senior captain Rachel Hemm and state-qualifying doubles partners seniors Bridget Dungan and Emily Mrstik were instrumental to the team’s success this year. Juniors Misaki Ishiura and Frankie Procaccio were also key contributors.

The varsity team is made up completely of upperclassmen, which provides for an experienced team that knows how to deal with the pressures of competition.

“I think that the team has improved overall in strategy,” Dungan said. “Rather than just hitting, I’ve seen so many different strategies that my teammates have utilized to secure victory. This is what has helped us obtain a winning record and beat opponents stronger than us.”

The entire season was extraordinary, with members of the team placing in all tournaments they have entered, as well as qualifying two athletes for the state tournament.

“We have a winning record this season,” Varsity coach Ken Mills said. “One of our season highlights was taking first place out of eight schools at the Doubles Delight Invite, one of the biggest tournaments of the year.”

No matter what the outcome, the team is incredibly proud of all of their accomplishments.

Throughout the season, players were able to maintain a positive attitude and a strong bond as a team.

“I was able to build a stronger connection with my teammates [this season] despite us being at different levels,” Ishiura said.

The team works as a cohesive unit, which allowed for them to strive for and ultimately meet their goals.

“As a team, our goals were to win as much as we could,” Dungan said. “I feel we accomplished this due to our winning record this season. We improved since last year and won against people we had previously lost to.”

One thing in particular that Mills admires about his team is the level of sportsmanship they possess.

“In terms of integrity and team spirit, our team was very strong this season,” Mills said. “Of course I want my team to win, but if you win and are a jerk about it, [those wins] don’t really count.”