Lauren’s Senior Column

I’ve been waiting four years to write my senior opinion, and now that I finally am, I don’t exactly know how to feel. I wish more than anything that I could be writing this under different circumstances, one where I could give a proper goodbye to The Pacer and my time at RMHS.

Unfortunately for me and many other seniors, I am not. I cried until I had no more tears left when I found out I would not be going back to school after my last purple day on March 13. I feel like I was robbed of so many things that I waited so long to experience. My eyes tear up at the thought of all the things that I feel was taken from me by the coronavirus: my last prom, an official graduation, senior assassin, a warm senior night at the end of track season, saying goodbye to all my friends who won’t be at the same school as me next year. It especially breaks my heart that I will never see my name printed in what was supposed to be the last issue of The Pacer. 

Reaching the end of senior year is a milestone that I should be celebrating and my stomach turns remembering that I will be studying for an AP test on my graduation day instead. I wish I had the idea of going away to college next year to console me, but I don’t even have that guarantee. 

I would be lying if I said I let the weight of all this negativity get to me (as if I didn’t just rant for three paragraphs about it), but at least I have three and a half years of high school memories to keep me going. The Coronavirus can’t take that from me. 

Reminiscing on my time at RMHS brings up my mood instantly, especially the days when The Pacer office still had the couch. That little closet-sized room will forever hold my heart as I think back on the number of good times I shared with my friends in it. It even makes me laugh that the last time I was in that room was when everyone thought this pandemic would blow over in two weeks. If only we knew…

Being a part of The Pacer is one of the best decisions I could have made in my high school career and I wouldn’t change that for the world. I’m so thankful for Riya, Kamika and Erin for making my time on the district’s best school newspaper something that I will cherish forever. You guys are the only reason I looked forward to staying after school until midnight twice a month. I never realized how much an impact an extracurricular could have on such a person. I’m excited to see how the paper will be next year, but I know Sammi, Sydney and Sarah will really make it great.

There are so many things I am going to miss about RMHS that I don’t think I will have enough time to write about all of them. High school was such a special time for me that it truly breaks my heart to see it end so abruptly. I felt like I saw myself grow and mature in such a way that my freshman year self would really be proud, and I feel like that’s all I could’ve asked for. After doing some self-reflection during my time in quarantine, I really am glad that we never sold our house so that I could go to Prospect. I know that I am a much better person today because of that.

I guess all I have left to say is never take anything for granted because God knows I did. High school should be an opportunity to make mistakes and grow from them. Learn to only worry about yourself rather than what others because it just makes life so much easier. Don’t less Miss Rona tear you down any more than it already has.