The online edition of the award-winning student newspaper at Rolling Meadows High School

The Pacer

King Kong kills the years

Niyathi Arcot, Staff writer

The story of King Kong has always told us it was “Beauty Killed the Beast.” However, the latest production of the sci-fi doesn’t exactly fit the classic theme.

“Kong: Skull Island,” directed by Jordan Vogt-Roberts turned out to be different from its previous interpretations. Set during the Vietnam War, the movie is full of explosions, overly reactive military soldiers and portable record players.

The story moved on from its 1933 Great Depression era to a more violent Vietnam War era. The cause of this is simply more technology, such as helicopters. Oh, the agony of helicopters in this film. Helicopters is where we first see Kong and helicopters is where his role also ends. To top it off these helicopters drop bombs, what could anger the “King” of the island more; than strangers destroying his land?

In an interview with Wicked Local Plymouth, Vogt-Roberts explains his process of the concept. “Suddenly this idea of  ‘Apocalypse Now’ and ‘King Kong’ popped into my head and I thought, ‘OK, I would make a Vietnam War movie with monsters,” Roberts said. “Because I’d never seen that, and I think a big part of going to the movies is being shown new things. I became so obsessed with this idea, from an aesthetic level, from the genre mash-up of choppers and napalm and Hendrix and monsters, and from a thematic level, from the character level.”

As exciting as all that action sounds, the romance in the movie was killed. For starters, the breathtaking Ann Darrow from “King Kong” (2005), who filled the movie with shrieks and tears, was replaced with a bold photo journalist, named Mason Weaver (Brie Larson), who honestly didn’t shine the way a female lead should. There was zero sign of any character development. Weaver has no role other than taking pictures, until the very end when Kong finally notices her. That was her only shining moment.

Once a bad guy, always a bad guy is all I can say about Colonel Perkins (Samuel L. Jackson). His stubborn attitude toward killing Kong is probably the reason why nobody liked the guy, but let’s just say he got what he deserved. With the wide variety in characters, each had their own story to tell, but it didn’t really capture the audience.

Now in previous movies, Kong is brought back to New York as a tourist attraction, however ‘Skull Island’ doesn’t include this! What happened to the fighter planes scene on the Empire State Building? Kong’s tragic fall off Empire State was completely heartbreaking. The fall would have been an unforgettable scene knowing the giant ape grew 75 feet since the last movie. That’s right, Kong in ‘Skull Island’ is 100 feet tall growing 75ft since the 2005 film.  The movie as a whole has just grown, everything is bigger. Bigger creatures, bigger action scenes, but little love.

To all the classic movie lovers out there, this was disappointment. Action sequence lovers on the other hand got quite the treat. There was absolutely no lack in the jumpscares and scenery. The movie had just the right graphics so it wasn’t all that heartbreaking.

As Captain James Conrad (Tom Hiddleston) says, “We can make it.” “Kong: Skull Island” could have used a little love but there’s nothing more thrilling than the Great and Mighty Kong showing everyone who’s Boss of the land.