The Pacer

Week nine postmortem: Top fantasy football waiver wire pickups

RB Dion Lewis, New England Patriots (37% owned)

Dion Lewis has back! After tearing his ACL almost exactly one year ago, he is finally practicing and is definitely the back to own in the Patriots backfield (sorry, LeGarrette Blount). Last year, the back scored 17.1 points a game on average in PPR. The only downside? James White, in Lewis’ time away, has supplanted Lewis, and has become the passing down back, making for an extremely cluttered backfield. The bottom line is simple- Lewis will be a hit or a miss start for at minimum a couple weeks, and may not ever be as good as he was last year. The volume may not be there yet, but in a Tom Brady system, passing down backs get an excellent share of targets.

WR Rishard Matthews (29% owned)

At this point in the season, it’s tough to find competitive options at any position. Rishard Matthews may be able to fill a starter on bye, or maybe even occupy a FLEX spot for the rest of the season. For perennial fantasy football participants, Rishard Matthews is best known as having two earth-shattering weeks as a Miami Dolphin, and suddenly dropping off the face of the planet. I waited before saying Matthews is worth it now, even after he caught touchdowns in three straight games. Now, Matthews has caught five touchdowns in five games, and is definitely a boom-or-bust start each week. The volume is an issue, though, so be warned: Matthews has caught less than 4 passes in every game except for last week, where he caught six.

C.J. Fiedorowicz, Houston Texans (11% owned)

The tight end market is depleted and extremely inconsistent. My philosophy on tight ends is this: if they are even reasonably consistent, they are worth a spot in any team’s starting lineup. Fiedorowicz’ name, while incredibly hard to spell (and say!), is actually worth something now, having caught at minimum four passes in all of the last five games, and has scored at minimum eight points a week, which is more than respectable. Surprisingly, Fiedorowicz has become flailing QB Brock Osweiler’s safety blanket, and while he may not have a high ceiling a la Rob Gronkowski or Jordan Reed, he provides a reliable floor every week.